• Bhutan: honouring & preserving cultural heritage, traditional architecture and native knowledge
• Northeast India: Experiencing amazing natural wonders & cultural diversity between Myanmar & Tibet
Travel Module: Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Discover with us faces of Kolkata, India 's second largest city. Kolkata is located on the mighty Hooghly River where it was founded in 1690 as a trading post of the East India Company, the largest colonial trade centre of Asia at the time. With its magnificent Victorian buildings, ornamental fountains, paved sidewalks and street lamps it used to reflect European architecture and sensuality. In order to escape the relentless summer heat and moisture in the swampy delta of the Ganges and Brahmaputra the capital was shifted to Delhi in 1911 - while Kolkata was left to itself. The monumental colonial structures are not nearly as well preserved as in Mumbai - peeling paint and walls overgrown with moss dominate the image of historical sites here. But the proud citizens of this 15-million-city enthusiastically defend the benefits of Kolkata compared to other major Indian cities. Warm, helpful, charming and equipped with a great sense of humour the Bengalese love to passionately discuss the benefits of their city. Meet with us the people and take a look behind the scenes of unique Kolkata.
- Kali and/or Birla temple
- French colony
- Flower market
- Howrah station and bridge
- Across the Hooghly river by ferry
- Visit the district where statues are manufactured
- Marble palace
- Try a ride by streetcar or rickshaw
- Enjoy a light show
- Botanical gardens
- Victoria memorial & museum
- Coffee house, college street, book bazaar
- Mother Theresa 's Home
- Mosque Nakoda
- Fruit market Bura Bazaar
- Boat trip on the Hooghly at sunset
Day 1: Arrival Kolkata Airport. Transfer to the hotel of your choice. Depending on your arrival time also enjoy a city tour.
Day 2 - 3: Sightseeing as per your interests
Day 4: Transfer to the Airport; continue with a Travel Module of your choice, for example "North East India", "Bhutan", "Sikkim", "Darjeeling", "Kalimpong", etc.
- Integrate Travel Module Kolkata at the end or start of your onwards journey; shorten or extend your stay in Kolkata as per your timeframe. Contact us, we are happy to adjust your visit to Kolkata in line with your wishes and timeframe.