• Bhutan: honouring & preserving cultural heritage, traditional architecture and native knowledge
• Northeast India: Experiencing amazing natural wonders & cultural diversity between Myanmar & Tibet
Travel-Module: Sikkim East, India
Discover with us the fascinating Sikkim-Himalayas between orchids and the icy peaks of the word’s third highest mountain – Mt. Khangchendzonga. This classic travel module is ideal to start your Sikkim-explorations and provides you with a first impression of the former Kingdom of Sikkim.
We invite you to take a deep dive into authentic, rural Sikkim. Away from the beaten tourist-tracks interact with local communities, take a walk through terraced rice fields and past tiny hamlets - and experience Sikkim’s cultural heritage with us.
Take a day-trip to the lively capital of Gangtok, learn about the rich history of the kingdom of Sikkim and visit some of the many Tibetan Buddhist monasteries that dot the entire land.
Between day-trips enjoy the tranquility and peaceful surroundings of the Bamboo Retreat hotel. Surrounded by
terraced paddy fields and bamboo groves it is a culture-reflecting boutique-hotel with panoramic
views of Sikkim’s rolling, green hills, Gangtok on the other side of the valley and the mountain-ranges surrounding Nathula – the border-pass between India and China.
Travel with an experienced driver in a private vehicle and an experienced local guide who will do his/her best to take care of your personal interests and needs. Stay in a room with panoramic view and balcony or choose the spacious apartment suite at Bamboo Retreat
- Terraced paddy fields, local villages and farms
- Introduction to Sikkim’s Tibetan Buddhist heritage
- Visit monasteries and monastic schools; witness Buddhist prayer-ceremonies
- Experience a welcome ceremony with a Lepcha-Shaman (Bongting)
- Authentic folk dance performed in a Lepcha-village by the local community
- Classic Sightseeing in and around Gangtok as per your interests
- Day-trip to alpine Tsomgo lake, 3900 m - experiencing vegetation from the subtropical to the alpine
- Optional trek up to 4000 m.a.s.l. (approx. 2 hrs for two ways)
- Enjoy Bamboo Retreat’s regenerating herbal bath or Sikkimese hot stone bath
Day 1: Transfer from Bagdogra Airport to Gangtok/Rumtek, Sikkim.
Day 2: Visit monasteries and a typical Lepcha-village.
Day 3: Gangtok sightseeing as per your interest - with optional visit of a children-village / school-project.
Day 4: Day-trip to Tsomgo-lake, with optional trek up to 4000 m.
Day 5: Continue with Travel-Module "Sikkim West & South", "Sikkim North", "Sikkim Dzongu", "Darjeeling", "Kalimpong" or "Bhutan Classic".
- Combine your travel to the region with travel module "Delhi", "Kolkota" or any other destination within India.
- Integrate a trekking-tour. Choose our classic "Khangchendzonga Trekking" trekking to Dzongri and/or Goechela or opt for our lower-altitude trekking-module "Sikkim Panoramic Rhododendron Trekking".