• Mongolia: Fascinating land of nomads & blue sky...
• Bhutan: Tibetan heritage in the Himalayan dragon-kingdom...
Travel Module: Kalimpong, West Bengal, India
Off the beaten track discover what this lesser known area south of Sikkim has to offer. Visit the bustling town of Kalimpong, travel through vast pine forests, visit one of the most important Tibetan Buddhist monasteries in the area and enjoy fantastic panoramic views onto the Mt. Khangchendzonga mountain range from a distance. Enjoy the mild climate and gain fantastic insights into the simple life in the country where members of various communities co-exist peacefully. Stay in well run private guesthouses and bungalows and enjoy optional nature- and village walks.
- Panoramic views of the Mt Khangchendzonga range
- Optional excursions and immersion in the world of Himalayan peasants
- City tour of Kalimpong market, churches and schools from the colonial or post colonial age
- Visit Buddhist monasteries and temples
- Great for souvenir shopping – especially Tibetan Buddhist thangkas and ceremonial items
- Pleasant, mild climate
- Try various optional activities and workshops such as Lepcha Archery, making of a traditional dry wall, bamboo-basket weaving, making of rice straw mats, work and study with the village blacksmith, meeting with local shaman, cooking classes, sowing or harvesting of rice (seasonal)
- Enjoy bird watching
Day 1: Start from Bagdogra Airport, Travel Module "Sikkim Classic/East", "Sikkim West", "Darjeeling" or "Bhutan" Depending on your starting point transfer to Kalimpong town or directly to a beautiful village in the countryside.
Day 2 – 4: Discover the countryside of this remote region and visit Kalimpong town.
Day 5: Transfer to Bagdogra Airport or continue with Travel Module "Sikkim Classic/East", "Darjeeling", "Sikkim West" or "Bhutan"
- Cover this tour by bicycle and continue bicycling within Sikkim. We provide the back-up and a route with negligible traffic – you bring along your own bicycle.
- Ad more days to this travel module if you enjoy hiking / walking or if you are looking for a quiet, tranquility and relaxation.
- Reduce this module to only 2 – 3 days if your time is limited